A Million Turkish Delights..
I visited Istanbul in March this year. It was a three day trip and I have never felt so loved in any other part of the world. Turkey has an old world charm but a young man’s heart. She flirts with you, teases you, flatters you and gives you so much attention, that you can’t help but fall head over heels in love.
Here are 10 reasons you’ll love Turkey:
1. Because you should always find the best place to watch the world. And Galata Bridge is one such place.
2. Because good looking Turkish men proactively walk in to the frame. When you quickly seize the opportunity and click, they smile.. take their imaginary hat off and bow down to thank you. (Now who minds a photo-bomb like that)
3. Because nowhere else in the world will you hear the shopkeepers greet you with, “Welcome Amitabh Bachchan!” (Never mind if you are a girl, that too barely 5 feet tall.)
4. Because people love their plants more than their pants. They also seem to like roots in their boots. 🙂
5. Because when you request a guy to take a pic, he says yes… then calls his family and together they stand smiling, waiting for YOU to click THEIR pic.
6. Because those minarets in the background tend to make you look strangely tall in the pictures.
7. Because the Blue Mosque isn’t so blue after all..
8. Because there is light at the end of every bazaar.
9. Because it’s a fairy tale land..
10. Because it’s the land of the Bosphorus, where Asia and Europe come together and shake hands.
My best memory of Turkey was when at the end of the trip our Turkish guide bid us farewell by singing the popular Hindi song from the 1950s ‘Awaara hoon’. Yes, the women in my team did consider packing this Turkish Delight and bringing him back home. 😀
As I waited for my boarding pass at the check-in counter of Turkish Airlines, I promised myself that I will be back soon. Amen.
This post is an entry in the “Million Stories” Contest sponsored by the Turkish Embassy, India.
Voting lines are now open. Please VOTE HERE if you would like to see me win. Be generous with your love.